Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey

If you've read the summary for Stolen Away, then you're probably thinking that it's told from only one point of view, Eloise's. Or at least, that's what I assumed. However, as it turns out, it's told from Eloise and Jo's perspectives. That, admittedly, made things a bit confusing for me as I wasn't expecting it--and will probably teach me to spend some time reading what I assumed were chapter titles.

So on one hand, you have Eloise trying to save her aunt (Antonia) from Lord Strahan and on the other hand, you have Jo, her best friend, helping her out--while falling for a very cute boy. Between the two of them? I think I like Jo a little bit better. Why? Because it seems like she's better at sticking up for herself--although I can definitely relate to Eloise's love of food. I mean, and then there's the fact that Jo likes to use British slang--which may have something to do with why I like her. Just maybe. But for the record, Eloise's mother kicks some serious ass. Don't know what I mean? Let's just say that it has something to do with a baseball bat.

I think my absolute favorite part about Stolen Away would have to be the descriptions of the Fae and the Courts. Why? Because I'm a sucker for detail and pretty things--which means that I absolutely loved learning about the different Courts, the seven year reign rule, and so forth. There is, however, a lot of details for the reader to pick up on. It's not impossible to keep up with, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't do a fair bit of nodding and hoping that things would explain themselves later on--which they did. This leads me to my one other issue with Stolen Away, the romance. More specifically, the fact that it really takes off. The plot in general is very fast paced. Example? Eloise meets Lucas on the third page. Who is Lucas? A Fae boy who introduces himself to her by kneeling. Granted of course, this takes place in the prologue.

Having said all of that, I did end up enjoying Stolen Away, although perhaps not as much as I enjoyed Haunting Violet (one of Alyxandra Harvey's other books). It does appear to be a standalone and if you enjoy stories involving the Fae, you may very well enjoy Stolen Away. Although I would have to--again--mention the rather fast paced plot.

Overall Rating: ★★★ and a half.

Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Release Date: January 17, 2012
Edition: e-ARC
* Received for review via publisher and NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...