Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Armchair BEA 2013: Blogger Development & Genre Fiction

Today's Armchair BEA topic is all about how we go about growing as bloggers and developing our blogs; and also what genres we tend to gravitate towards.

Unfortunately Gianne is busy and can't join me today but here are my thoughts on blogger development and genre fiction!

On blogger development

Okay, I am pretty quiet when it comes to blogging. By which I mean that I don't really do anything with my blog in my local community asides from attending a YA book group. (It's at Mysterious Galaxy Redondo Beach and it is always a lot of fun.) As for partnering up, well, I have! *hugs Gianne* I really, really love my co-blogger Gianne and that's precisely why she's my co-blogger. I don't have ads on my blog and if I'm honest, I intend to keep it that way.

As for the look of my blog? That's definitely changed quite a bit; at least the appearance has. I've gone from a free background (and crazy cluttered sidebars) to a custom blog design that I feel is much more professional (but I might be biased--I am obsessed with calligraphy). 

But okay, my online personality? I think I can credit most of it to the blog, my Twitter, my Tumblr, and the MMORPGs that I play. I love that it means that I have a clear voice and personality online--but if I'm being completely honest if you were to meet me in person you might be surprised by how quiet I actually am. Let's be clear here, if you start talking to me about books or the right television shows? You will see my eyes light up and I will definitely be able to chat up a storm with you. But I'm always really shy at first.


On genre fiction

I've always been a fan of paranormal books but if I'm being completely honest, it's gotten difficult to find ones that I really love. Right now I'd probably say Kim Harrison's Hollows series tops my list for the paranormal genre and I would point out that it's definitely not YA. I also always enjoy fantasy books--as long as the terminology and world building doesn't get so intense that I can't pronounce or remember half of the terms. If you haven't checked out Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone or Leigh Bardugo's Shadow & Bone, you might want to get on that. (Okay, and if you read adult urban fantasy and haven't read Karen Marie Morning's Fever series, well, I'd recommend it. But every book in that series has a cliffhanger that will make you toss up your hands.)

I mean, really, I read everything. But maybe not that much verse. Oh, and I am always on the lookout for a good romance to read. (Bonus points if it's set in the Victorian or Edwardian era.) But let's be clear here, I need the romances that I read to be mostly plot. I'm not saying that there can't be some sexy time mixed in, but it better not overwhelm the book. (If you have a good romance--YA or adult--you'd recommend I check out, please do let me know. I'm always hunting for good ones. Fantasy, paranormal, or contemporary. It's all good.)

14 comments:

  1. Interesting that many of us book bloggers are shy... Good job we have an outlet, huh? Thanks for sharing :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I've definitely noticed that quite a few book bloggers are shy in person, but we love to share our passion for books.

    LLM - ABookGeek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - love Daughter of Smoke & Bone too. Have you read the 2nd book in the series yet? I haven't, but hopefully soon.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely also a shy-in-real-life book blogger. I've been in a lot of online communities before which helped me jump into the blogging world, but it can still sometimes be overwhelming! Daughter of Smoke & Bone is an AMAZING read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same! I was so talkative earlier talking about books with friends but I'm usually very quiet and don't know how to start conversations. I also enjoyed daughter of smoke and bone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Co-blogging is such a fun idea. I don't know if I could ever do it for my personal book blog (though I do have guest posts from time-to-time), but I do co-moderate the Classics Club, which is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, first, I LOVE YOUR BLOG LAYOUT AND TEMPLATE! I've never visited your blog before, so I thought I'd take a second and admire it :D

    Anyway.

    I've never read any of Kim Harrison's books! I don't think I've even heard of her O_O

    But I'm like you, I suppose. I read everything! :D

    Check out my post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, I'm such a shy blogger. I'm mostly shy IRL too, but once we get onto a topic of conversation like books or TV, I will talk your ear off. The mutual interests just help ease me into a social situation that would be awkward otherwise haha.

    And y e s, Daughter of Smoke & Bone is the BEST. I mentioned it in my into post and have been recommending it to people left and right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you've got a clear direction that you've wanted to go in and you've made that happen. GJ!

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. That's so great you have co-bloggers who work well together. I love the design of your blog and look forward to your posts. Hope you have a great ABEA Week! New follower here. Here's my Blogger development and favorite books by genre post if you'd like to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are lucky to have a co-blogger. Sometimes I wish I had one to help pick up my slack. What MMORPGs do you play? I love video games. I know that I am totally annoyed with the new Xbox and PS4 trying to take used games away from us...errrrr.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog design. I must say I am a bit obsessed with calligraphy too! I also lean a little toward paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog design is quite lovely. I'm jealous - I'm still at the free design stage (though I don't think it's particularly ugly). I definitely appreciate a clean blog layout - if a blog is too cluttered or confusing I won't bother trying to read any of the posts.

    Have you read the Lady Julia Mysteries by Deanna Raybourne? They're romance and (obviously) mysteries. I read them back in high school, but I remember really loving them.

    http://thebedtimebookworm.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...