Monday, March 18, 2013

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

I feel like I've been waiting for a reason to pick up--and finally read--I Hunt Killers. It's been on my radar since its release last year; but for some reason, it just didn't jump out at me at the time. However, now that I've seen so many rave reviews? Well, I decided to give it a go.

By now, I'm sure you know the plot. Jazz is the son of Billy Dent, a serial killer, and when a dead body ends up in a field in his town, he wants to help catch the killer. But G William, the local sheriff, doesn't want his help. After all, Jazz is just a teenager, even if he is the son of the infamous Billy Dent.

I'm pretty neutral about I Hunt Killers, to be honest. I definitely liked it, but I feel like I expected more from the killer. The plot does definitely pick up in the second half of the book and the ending definitely sets things up for Game; but I feel like it was missing that extra oomph I needed to really make me devour the book.

However, it did do a great job of introducing the characters. There's Howie, the hemophiliac, who is Jazz's best friend and tries to be as useful as he can be. Connie, on the other hand, is definitely a force to be reckoned with. She's Jazz's girlfriend and I couldn't help but like her. But the character that stood out the most for me? Well, that would be Billy Dent. Why? It has more to do with his personality and his voice in the book really. Sure, he's a serial killer, but that's not what makes his voice stand out. If you've already read I Hunt Killers, I imagine you know what I mean. On the other hand, if you haven't read the book yet, you'll see what I mean.

In all, I liked I Hunt Killers, but I wasn't as madly in love with it as I thought I'd be. However, that ending sealed the deal for me, I'm definitely reading Game. If you're on the fence about reading I Hunt Killers, I'd definitely suggest that you give it a go.
★★★★

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga 
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: April 3, 2012
Edition: e-copy
* Purchased on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...