Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

Eleanor Fitt's family is clinging to high society. Her father is dead, her brother--who was supposed to be on his way home--has gone missing, and the family coffers are almost empty. Her mother wants to marry her off to an eligible young man and Eleanor? She's too busy trying to understand why one of the Dead left her a note from her brother and what exactly it might imply.

All I want is for Eleanor to get a heavy duty parasol in the next book--to better whack zombie knees with. I mean, preferably one that won't cause her mother to faint (which means it should be somewhat fashionable) but it's such a ladylike way to go about battling zombies! As for Eleanor as a character, she's brave and stubborn, but within reason. You'll also get to meet the Spirit Hunters (Joseph Boyer, Daniel Sheridan, and Jie Chen). I immediately took a liking to Jie--and you'll see why--and Joseph; however, it's taken me some time to warm up to Daniel. And yes, you've caught me! I liked Clarence more than I liked Daniel. Clarence is far from perfect--at times he's paranoid--but I think he has the potential to make Eleanor happy. Er, maybe. I'm not going to say anymore about the characters and I can't even say what I want to say--because oh my goodness is that a spoiler-- but believe me, if you read Something Strange and Deadly, you'll understand what I'm talking about (even if I'm not really talking about it right now).

So, the seance scene at the Fitt house? I will admit that it freaked me out a bit. But other than that,  the Dead fascinated me more than they frightened me. Other than that, the plot itself definitely kept me turning pages and I loved the ending. It wrapped up Something Strange and Deadly nicely without killing me with a cliffhanger while still leaving it open enough for the reader to realize that there will be another book.

Would I recommend Something Strange and Deadly to you? Yes, if you enjoy books set in the Victorian era, zombies, and want a page turner. There is romance in Something Strange and Deadly, but I wouldn't say that it overpowers the plot at all (which 99% of the time is my primary concern). So if you've been thinking about picking up a copy, definitely do so! (It just came out today after all!)

Overall Rating: ★★★★ and a half.

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
Publisher: HarperTeen, an imprint of HarperCollins
Release Date: July 24, 2012
Edition: e-ARC
* Received for review via publisher and Edelweiss.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I LOVE THIS BOOK.

    new follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one! It sounds AWESOME. Thanks so much for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...