Friday, May 18, 2012

Unbreak My Heart by Melissa C. Walker

Clementine is anything but over Ethan when she embarks--along with her family--on a summer-long journey on their boat, The Possibility. But along the way she meets James, who is also sailing the same route that Clementine is on and maybe, just maybe, he'll have what it takes to help her mend her broken heart and learn to smile again.

I loved James the moment that he ran into Clementine. He's funny, kind, and oh, by the way, he likes to draw. And did I mention that he's a red head? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've come across that many love interests that happen to have red hair--which meant this was definitely a refreshing change. More importantly, there's depth to his character--although you might not notice that about him at first. And surprisingly enough, I also really liked Olive, Clementine's younger sister, who is indeed wise beyond her years and she definitely loves her older sister. I should probably warn you that Clementine can be a bit touchy when Amanda is mentioned--and when Ethan is mentioned too. To be fair, I can completely understand Amanda's point of view on the whole thing as I've been in a similar predicament before. For the record, Amanda is Clementine's best friend and as the story jumps from the past (how the incident came about) to Clementine's summer on the boat so don't worry if this doesn't make a ton of sense to you right now.

Overall, Unbreak My Heart was a fun, light read that would be perfect for a spring break (or summer) read. It's my favorite sort of contemporary to read and you'll definitely see Clementine evolve; better yet, it leaves off at the end of the summer which is definitely perfect for Unbreak My Heart--although I certainly wouldn't have minded reading about what happened after the summer had ended. So yes, if Unbreak My Heart sounds like something that you'd be interested in reading, I'd definitely recommend it to you.

Overall Rating: ★★★★★

Favorite Quotes:
"Okay, back away," he says.
"Huh?" I ask.
"You're obviously an assassin sent to kill me by collision," he says.

I know they say laughter's the best medicine, but kissing? It's definitely also Top 5.

Unbreak My Heart by Melissa C. Walker
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Release Date: May 22, 2012
Edition: e-ARC
* Received for review via publisher and NetGalley.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely review! The more reviews I read about UNBREAK MY HEART, the more I want to pick it up myself. It sounds like such a cute but meaningful summer read. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, I LOVE this review! I'm hesitant on reading this one, because I didn't really like Small Town Sinners, but this one sounds really good and it's garnering a lot of positive reviews.

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This book sounds pretty good. Not something I would enjoy all the time, but it would be a nice summer read (I don't know why, but I like to read such books only in the summer :p)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this was a great book and I agree that's it's a great summer read.

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...