Monday, February 13, 2012

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

When Nikki Beckett returns home, she knows that she only has six months to say goodbye to everyone. To her father, to her best friend Jules, and perhaps more importantly, Jack, her boyfriend. But Nikki is a shell of her former self, having spent the last hundred years in Everneath with Cole in the Feed and it'll take some time for her to readjust to things on the surface. But Cole won't leave her alone and Jack isn't ready to let her go.

Everneath bounces back and forth--from what's currently going on to what happened before the Feed--and it's definitely easy to keep up with what's going on. Having said that, I must admit that I didn't quite enjoy Everneath as much as I thought I would and I'm thinking that it has something to do with the fact that Nikki isn't quite herself. I can completely understand why Nikki is the way that she is, but I think that took away from my personal reading experience. Don't get me wrong though, I really did adore Everneath and I'm definitely looking forward to the next book. The ending? Sort of made my jaw drop. Believe me, you'll know what I mean when you get there.

But let me talk about the boys for a moment. Cole is an Everling, an immortal who has to go into the Feed once every hundred years to continue existing. A musician, a member of Dead Elvis (a band), and definitely not precisely a good person. Admittedly--for once--I didn't like the bad boy! Jack, however, I really loved. He's Nikki's old boyfriend, on the football team, and an extremely sweet guy! Did I mention that he still has feelings for her? It's definitely hard not to like him. I'm still up in the air about Jules though. A part of me feels horrible for her--because that situation sucks--but at the same time, I wish she'd just... er, can't tell you that.

I really did enjoy Everneath and you can definitely feel the mythological influence all throughout the book. If you haven't picked up a copy yet (and are intrigued by the story) I'd definitely suggest that you give it a read!

Overall Rating: ★★★★ and a half.

Everneath by Brodi Ashton
Publisher: Balzer + Bray, an imprint of HarperCollins
Release Date:  January 24, 2012
Edition: ARC
* Received for review via publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...