Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Daughter
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: August 1, 2010
Edition: Paperback
* Purchased on my own.


Summary from GoodReads: Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

My Thoughts:

People, there were tears in my eyes. Lots of Ash in The Iron Daughter and a healthy helping of Puck too--so there is indeed something for both teams in The Iron Daughter. Also, if you didn't happen to know what team I'm on, I'm rooting for Ash. No, really, if you read The Iron Daughter all the way through, you'll know why I love him even more than I did in The Iron King. However, I'll also say that the tears had something to do with Ash too--though I shall say no more than that! He's always trying to cut himself off from his emotions--the joys of being a Winter prince--and yet, Meghan is making him feel again. On the other hand, Puck apparently likes to show his love rather than hide it away and this leads to more tension between the two.

The Iron Daughter begins where The Iron King leaves off--with Meghan Chase tucked away in the Winter Court at Mab's mercy. From there, things get interesting during the Exchange (of power and a scepter) as the Scepter of the Seasons is stolen by an Iron knight and one of the princes is killed. Meghan is instantly accused--as she was at the scene of the crime--and frozen by Mab, only to be rescued by Ash whom helps her escape Tir Na Nog. Then Meghan is Summoned by Grimalkin who did so as a favor to Ironhorse who claims to want to help Meghan find and take back the scepter. Following that, things really take off and I really can't say much more than that. Well, I'll tell you that there's a winter formal (dance), heartache, a makeover, a power Meghan wasn't expecting, several traitors, and a war between the Seelie and Unseelie.

Admittedly, again, there were times that I wanted to shake Meghan. I mean, who says, "Okay, I'll owe you a favor even though we haven't negotiated terms and you're a seriously powerful fae."Well, okay, yes, it proves that Meghan Chase, despite being half-Seelie, is human but really? If you get Summoned and nearly kill yourself because you don't know what's going on even though you made the contract why on earth are you making yet another deal?

Anyways, there is some serious business going on in The Iron Daughter and yes, I'd recommend that you pick up a copy--although I mean this in the "If you enjoyed the first book or the series intrigues you, but please read the first book first" sense. Also, for some reason I can't picture Ash in 'modern/mortal' formal wear. He makes me think of coattails and top hats--though I'm not too sure why that is. Ah! And Meghan's dress! It sounded absolutely gorgeous and even I have to find in amusing that people from her old school didn't recognize her.

Lastly, the ending of The Iron Daughter? I loved it. It also makes me extremely curious as to how things are going to come together in The Iron Queen, but I'll merely guess at it for now--as it won't be released until February 1, 2011. 

Overall Rating:  ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...