Thursday, October 21, 2010

Finding Sky by Joss Stirling

Finding Sky
Author: Joss Stirling
Publisher: Oxford University Press (OUP)
Published: 10/7/2010
Edition: Paperback
*Purchased on my own.

Summary from Amazon.co.uk: When English girl Sky, catches a glimpse of bad boy Zed in her new American high school, she can't get him out of her head. He talks to her with his thoughts. He reads her mind. He is the boy she will love for ever. Dark shadows stalk her past but a new evil threatens her future. Sky must face the dark even if it means losing her heart.

My Thoughts:
Finding Sky is another one of the novels that I stumbled upon due to Good Reads and okay, yes, the cover played a big role in why I decided to pick up a copy--although I wouldn't have picked it up if the summary didn't interest me. I must admit that the British spelling did toss me off at times, simply because I'm not used to seeing it and well, my mind did not want to comprehend it. Once you get past that though, the writing style is smooth although if I were to have a complaint, it's that the American teens in this book don't use typically American phrases. However, I suppose I can't really complain since the book is written by a British author--although she did come to the States to do research.

With that said, I really did enjoy reading Finding Sky. The main character is Sky Bright (it's the name her adoptive parents decided on for her) and she's had a tough life before Simon and Sally took her in. When Simon and Sally are given the opportunity to paint and be a part of the local Arts Center in Wrickenridge, Coloardo they jump at the opportunity (because yes, they are artists). Removed from the familiarity of England, Sky worries about adjusting to life in the small town and happily, she does discover that it's not so bad after all. As a character, she is very shy and as the book progresses, she starts to come out of her shell--which is always important. She does not immediately like Zed--in fact, she rather dislikes him at first--nor does he take immediate interest in her. Eventually, he does discover that she's a savant too and more importantly, his soulfinder (pretty much his other half). From there, he tries to get back in Sky's good graces and slowly, it does work. When the two are shot at in the woods, things get interesting. I could say more, but I'd really prefer not to ruin the story for anyone. Let's just say that the antagonists make their appearance and Sky ends up in the middle of things. From there, her relationship with Zed is tested and she comes to terms with what she is--as well as uncovers the memories she's been suppressing about her past.

Overall, I did find this to be a very enjoyable read and if you're looking for a not so typical paranormal romance to read, this may be it. Do be warned though, if you live in the States, this isn't something that you'll find in your local bookstore and thus, while ordering online, keep an eye on shipping prices.

Overall Rating: ★★★★ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...