Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Let's talk comic books

Now, I know what you're thinking. "But Kristin, this is a book blog!" You're right. It is.

However I've gotten into comics within the past year. Funny story behind that is as follows: I saw someone with a Puppycat stuffed animal at a convention, decided I needed one in my life, and at Comic Con last year, I bought myself one. (The plushie is sold through WeLoveFine and there is a non-talking, cheaper version.) Now, at the time, this was just an adorable plush animal but upon looking up "Bee and Puppycat" online, I found out that it was a comic book series and a web series.  (See below.) Needless to say, I picked up the comic book series and the rest, as they say, was history.


You might be wondering why I'm making this post and honestly, it's to talk about comic books and to mention that hey, you might see comic book reviews on the blog every now and then in the future. Current recommendations?

For everyone

Why? Because Boom! Studios describes it as "Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Gravity Falls" and I completely agree with that assessment. Not only is Lumberjanes a fun read, but the five female leads are camp forged friends who stumble into a lot of supernatural stuff. I suck at summarizing this but think: young ladies kicking supernatural butt while growing their friendship and you've hit the nail on the head. The single issues can be hard to find but there's a trade paperback of the first four issues which is easier to find (on Amazon, etc.). Here's a link to a preview of the first issue to give you a taste. 

Next up is Giant Days and yes, it's another Boom!Studios comic book. Now, why do I like Giant Days? Because it's based on a web comic and more importantly, it's funny and set during college. You can preview the first issue here. I would highly recommend getting the Orientation Edition (link to Midtown Comics--which is just an example of where to buy it not where you have to buy it from) which is both issue one and two unless you want to wait for the trade paperback or prefer single issues. Favorite moments? Tissue box backpack and talking to a pigeon. 

No "for everyone" list is complete without Ms. Marvel (2014) because Kamala Khan is an amazing character (who, by the way, is Pakistani American), the art is great, and the story brings in character cameos like no tomorrow which work. It is perhaps the easiest comic book of the three to get a hold of and for a good reason: it's really that popular. 


For the sake of art

Angela, Asgard's Assassin
Okay, I know the initial reaction is probably "She's not wearing a lot of clothes." and you'd be right but Stephanie Hans has incredibly stunning art and despite Angela's attire, there's strength drawn into her. It's not going to be for everyone and that's okay because the world of comic books is vast. (Here's the preview for issue one.) Trade paperback comes out in August for the first few issues if you prefer that over individual issues.

The Wicked + The Divine
This is a series with a unique premise and the covers are absolutely gorgeous as well. In short, gods come back to earth and only have two years to make use of their bodies before they die. Their motive? Get people to worship them and by which I mean worship them as idols. You know, as in sing. Warning: there is some gore in this. It's not what I'd call recurring but every now and then, it happens. (Currently there are two trade paperbacks out for this series and here's a link to the preview of the first issue.)

Rat Queens
Rat Queens has gotten a lot of well deserved love from the internet and this is one of those series that I'd try to get everyone to read. Now, while I absolutely adore it, I feel like I should point out that there is mention of drugs in this, lots of cussing, and nudity. But it's just so well writen if you like sarcasm and snark. Here's a preview of the first issue to give you a taste. It's easiest to find trade paperbacks of this rather than single issues (because of the popularity of this series, finding individual issues can be a challenge).


Honorable mention goes to:

8house Arclight
Which had me at "genderqueer knights" and happens to have an absolutely gorgeous color palette plus the art though. It's only an issue in thus far and I'm really looking forward to seeing where it heads. Preview here.

Gotham Academy
Which is my current only recurring DC pull. Why do I like it so much? The main character is not what you'd call a Batman fan. Nope. (At least presently.) Love the art style and this is suitable for all ages. Preview of issue one here.

Well, there you have it. What do you think of my recommendations? Are there any you'd give to me?
P.S. If you do read comic books, I would love to know what you're reading right now! 

2 comments:

  1. I covered a news story a while ago about a student who wanted graphic novels banned from her college because she thought they were terrible, which just struck me as the heights of ignorance! I actually think it's great of you to include comic books on your book blog. Just because they're a different kind of medium does not mean it can't tell a story just as well and your recommendations are great examples! I actually haven't checked some of them out, so I'm going to go do that now :D Also, so jealous you've been to Comic Con!
    Great post :)
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collection of graphic novels! I agree with Juli - it's just another medium through which to share a story. There are so many people who review audiobooks, which are a different medium than print books. It doesn't mean reviewing audiobooks is wrong for a book blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...