Monday, August 27, 2012

Top Ten Tueday: Bookish Confessions

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is:
Top Ten Bookish Confessions

  1. I am a book hoarder. I do read all of my review books in a timely manner and ultimately, I do read all of the books that I own --no, really, I've read them all at least once. However, I'm really, really bad about getting rid of books. In an ideal world I'd have bookshelves all over the house--but as it stands, all my books are in stacks on the floor in my room. 
  2. When I buy books from a bookstore, I pick out pristine copies. I hate it when brand new copies are: ripped, slightly bent, etc.
  3. I have to change up what I read. If I read two books with similar plots back to back, I'm much more likely to get my plots mixed up. Yes, books start to run together (for me) when they're all really similar. That's not to say that I don't enjoy all of them, I just get my plots confused. 
  4. Sometimes you have to jog my memory. If you mention a title and it sounds familiar to me, you'll have to mention the plot (or some of the story) to me in order for me to remember if I've read the book or not. Maybe I've read it or maybe I've just heard about it before. 
  5. I can't stand dust jackets. I love hardcovers to death, but I absolutely hate dust jackets--because they're constantly sliding up and down the book when I'm reading it. I do remove them and I love it when the actual hardcover is a color other than black. 
  6. I read and eat at the same time. I know, it's not exactly good manners--and I only do it when I'm at home--but I think it's better than watching television while eating (and usually when I do it, it's because I couldn't put the book in question down). 
  7. I own a Kindle, but was reluctant about owning one at first. What's on my Kindle? E-galleys. This was probably the best decision that I've made because it means I don't have to read e-galleys on my computer anymore--which would often give me terrible headaches. 
  8. I am a speed reader. Which isn't to say that I skim (if I do, it's probably because the plot is dragging), just that I tend to devote a lot of time to reading when I can. On average, it takes me three to four hours (straight) to read through a book. In middle school we had reading groups and books that we had to read and my group blitzed through all of the books (and I'm dead serious when I say this and I mean it in a non-bragging way) because of me.
  9. If a book is really, really gripping I literally can't sleep until I finish it. I will toss and turn, the book will plague me, and eventually, I'll stop trying to sleep and finish reading the darn book. 
  10. When I was little, I would borrow as many books from the library as possible. It wasn't uncommon to see me come out with the maximum number of books and return sometime later in the week to borrow some more. 
.

9 comments:

  1. Great list. Nearly all of it resonates with me, especially nos. 1, 6 and 9. As for no. 10, I still do this and then only read one or two before i have to return it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't help reading while reading, but I've learned not to do it with library books. Foods tend to be difficult to clean off pages! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! And that's precisely why--when I can--I read books on my e-reader while eating instead of reading physical copies (plus it means I don't have to be holding onto the book).

      Delete
  3. Speed reader, book hoarder & when I was little I read SO many books from the library :p

    My top 10 Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2, #9 and #10 - we are twins. You put it all so perfectly, and those are great confessions! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Kat, and I am a hoarder too. I also go through the whole pile of each book in bookstores to get the 'nicest' copy.

    Reading and eating is like the best multi-tasking ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. #1 and #2 are SO ME!!!

    I love your list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a book hoarder too! That is what my TTT is all about on my blog. I'm also guilty of reading while I eat though. I try not to do it if I'm sitting down with others but if I'm at a crucial point in a book I can't always resist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my ereader for egalleys too. I hated reading on the computer. I would avoid it like the plague.

    I hate dust jackets too. I remove them while I read. But I do use the flaps as a bookmark when I'm at stopping point. That's the only thing I like about them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...