Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

A Beautiful Dark
Author: Jocelyn Davies
Publisher: HarperTeen (an imprint of HarperCollins)
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Edition: e-ARC
* Received for review via HarperTeen and NetGalley. 

First and foremost, you know that I'm dying to read a book when I'll willingly read an e-galley. Secondly, oh my goodness the ending is amazing! I'm officially dying to read the next book!

Skye's seventeenth birthday party isn't what she expected it to be. Not only is it a surprise party, but a fight breaks out and then there's an earthquake-like rumble beneath them (which, as it turns out, is the new boiler exploding). Better yet? The two boys who were fighting at the party the day before turn out to be new students at her high school and if Skye didn't know any better, she'd say that they've been following her. However, if that wasn't troubling enough, they're both there to keep an eye on her and to help her pick a side. But what will she decide on? Those who encourage chaos? Or those who believe in rigid order?

Yes, this is technically about angels; however, there aren't any fallen angels in this. Why do I say that? Because although Asher is amongst the Rebels (a group of angels who inspire/encourage chaos), more or less they just broke away from The Order (or "jumped" as Asher puts it). Because of this, their abilities differ from the Guardians' abilities; as in, they're pretty much polar opposites. Although the whole angel storyline can be too predictable, I found myself pleasantly surprised by A Beautiful Dark. Jocelyn manages to put her own spin on the angels and well, I certainly enjoyed it.

Then there are the boys. You have Asher, the Rebel, who Skye finds herself attracted to almost immediately and well, he's a real (lady) charmer. He's tan (although it's winter time in Colorado), from what Skye can tell he has a nice body, and he's got both dark hair and dark eyes. On the other hand, there's Devin, a Guardian (and as such, a lackey for The Order), who--as Skye puts it--looks like a fairytale prince. There's a calmness to him that Skye envies and well, he's terrible at making small talk or being anything less than serious. Perhaps I ought to mention that there's a (different) girl that according to the Seers, he's destined to be with. Her name is Raven and honestly? She strikes me as psycho. Which boy do I prefer? You have no idea how torn I am. However, if you forced me to pick one of them, it'd be Devin--although, I mean to say that if I were Skye, I'd probably try to "drag him down" so to speak.

Oh, wait, I should probably mention Ian too, right? I mean, he's been crushing on Skye for a while and she's been doing her best to ignore it. Needless to say, he's less than pleased by Asher and Devin... although mostly Asher. And then there's Skye, whose parents died on her sixth birthday. She's been living with her legal guardian, "Aunt" Jo (her mother's best friend) and lately, Jo has been extremely busy with work (and rarely home because of it). Loved Skye's friendship with Cassie and well, Dan's feelings for Cassie.

Personally I loved the pacing, Jocelyn's writing style, and well, the boys! On top of that, I adore the setting--a small town called River Springs in Colorado--and the fact that Skye loves to ski. So if you're not tired of reading about angels or have been debating over reading A Beautiful Dark, then I'd definitely tell you to give it a go. But don't say that I didn't warn you about the ending!

Overall Rating: ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...