Saturday, August 13, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperTeen (an imprint of HarperCollins)
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Edition: Hardcover
* Purchased on my own.


Love is a disease. One that Lena will be happy to get rid of once she turns eighteen. But when she meets  a boy named Alex, she’ll learn that maybe love isn’t the disease that society has made it out to be—and that it’s not the only thing that they’ve been lying about. 

I have a feeling that this is going to be a short review and not because I have nothing to say about Delirium, but because so many people have read it now that I feel that I’d just be reiterating things. First, it’s important to say that I loved Lauren Oliver’s writing style and that yes, this is the first time that I’ve read anything written by her. Was I madly in love with Delirium? Alas, not precisely; while I enjoyed it immensely, I think I’m used to dystopians with more action than romance—not that the romance was in any way, shape, or form bad, but it’s definitely the driving force for Delirium

Lena is a senior in high school and more importantly, she’s looking forward to getting “cured.” To her, being cured means that she’ll be given a fresh start, one in which no one whispers about her mother’s suicide behind her back. And Alex? He’s a security guard at the labs and there’s a lot more to him than you might think. I know that it’s an incredibly vague statement, but since I’m trying not to give you spoilers, that’s all that I’ll say on that matter. 

Honestly, I really like the idea of love being a disease and I’m looking forward to seeing how things develop in Pandemonium which has an expected publication date of (date here). And that ending? Oh my goodness! I mean, it’s not exactly a crazy “must have the next book this instant” cliffhanger, but it’s still pretty insane! If you haven’t read Delirium just yet, I’d definitely suggest that you give it a go if you enjoy dystopians that don’t necessarily involve constant bouts of action. 

Overall Rating:  ★★★★

2 comments:

  1. I must be the only person to have not read this book!! I am looking forward to it though

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this yet either but it sounds awesome. Most reviews I've read though seem positive, so I'm glad that you liked it.

    The cover is pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...