Monday, February 28, 2011

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Falling Under
Author: Gwen Hayes
Publisher: New American Library (part of Penguin Group)
Release Date: March 1, 2011
Edition: ARC
* Won through GoodReads First Reads Program.

Summary from GoodReads: Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.


My Thoughts

Theia Alderson dreamed of a burning man who fell from the sky onto her father's pristine lawn and soon after that she dreams of a boy near her own age (whom she feels a pull towards) that dresses in Regency finery who tells her that she shouldn't have come to the macabre party. You can only imagine her surprise to find the same boy registering at her school the next day. Who is he? And why has he come to Serendipity Falls?


I really loved Gwen's writing style and Theia as a character--whom pours her soul into her music (she plays the violin) and she tries so hard to confine her "wild" nature as well as her unruly curls. Then there's Haden who wants to protect Theia so badly that he constantly tries to push her away--even though she's the reason why he came to Serendipity Falls. I really did love their relationship and how it advanced throughout Falling Under--as well as what Theia did to save Haden and the end result of that. I thought that it was well paced and the ending really left me hoping that there will be another book--because I really want more of Haden and Theia! 


My favorite minor character? Mara, Haden's mother. She's definitely not a nice woman--although perhaps "woman" is the wrong word as demoness would be more appropriate. She wants Haden to inherit her kingdom and more importantly, she wants him to choose to do so--although she could, of course, force his hand. I'd really love to see more about her and Under as well. What's Under? The realm in which Mara lives--as do other demons--that is both lovely and macabre at the same time. 


Falling Under was easily amongst my favorite reads this year and if it sounds interesting to you I'd highly recommend picking up a copy--besides, how absolutely stunning is that cover? 


Overall Rating: ★★★

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good romance and a good read! Love that cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review, thanks!
    THis does have a really interesting sounding story. I might have to put it in the list!
    Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    Twitter: @fangswandsfairy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds pretty good, I actually wasn't to sure about it. Thanks for the great review.

    BTW I never received Across the Universe. Did it ever get sent? I know your extremely busy with school, but I just wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in the mail. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shannon;
    I'm extremely sorry about not getting in contact with you about that! >_< This upcoming week it'll finally be in the mail--argh I need to get better about these things! I'll send you an e-mail on the actual day I send it out. Sorry again! D:

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...